In Memory

Thomas Bergeron - Class Of 1964

Thomas Bergeron

Thomas Walter Bergeron
1946 - 2006


Tom was born in Pasadena California on March 8, 1946 to Jerome Eugene and Ruth Elizabeth (Hasenmaier) Bergeron. 

Former Port Angeles police officer, Thomas Walter Bergeron died on Dec. 4, 2006 in his Port Angeles home of metastatic colon cancer. Tom was 60.

Tom started his career with the Marine Corps, which included service in Australia and Japan; then after 28 years he retired as a chief warrant officer. Tom was awarded the National Defense Service Medal, Sea Service Deployment Ribbon and Pistol Sharpshooter Badge.  Tom's last military active duty assignment was Operation Desert Storm. He was aircraft maintenance officer for VMAO-4 - the Seahawks Squadron - based at Naval Air Station Whidbey Island.

He earned his bachelor's degree in civil engineering from University of Southern California and was flood control manager for Orange County, CA., before moving to the North Olympic Peninsula in 1980.

Tom joined the Port Angeles Police Department in 1982. Injury during an arrest forced his retirement earlier in 2006 after 24 years with the department. He received the department's Purple Heart on February 3, 2006.

Tom married Denise Critchfield in Port Angeles on Sept. 26, 1998 where he enjoyed outdoor activities, including camping with his family, and was a Cub Scout master. Tom also enjoyed building and was affectionately known as "Tom, the project guy."

Tom was a member of Teamsters, Elks Naval Lodge and St. Andrew's Episcopal Church. He was a former member of Veterans of Foreign Wars.

In addition to his wife, survivors include stepsons Trenton L. Critchfield and Thomas Fontana of Port Angeles; daughter Jenny Bergeron of San Bernardino, Calif.; stepdaughter Jadee Critchfield of Port Angeles; brother Richard E. Bergeron of San Diego; and one granddaughter.

His daughter Deborah Palacios died on February 25, 2004, his stepfather Harry Lindley passed on May 19, 2006 and his mother on November 3, 2006.  Tom was also preceded in death by his father.

Services: December 31, 3 p.m. to 7 p.m., celebration of life was held at the Vern Burton Community Center, 308 E. Fourth St., Port Angeles, Washington.

Harper-Ridgeview Funeral Chapel, Port Angeles, is in charge of arrangements.

Memorials: Hospice of Clallam County, P.O. Box 2014, Port Angeles, WA 98362.


Tom wrote these notes on the website.
"I joined the USMC (airwing) in 1968 and spent the next two years in Japan, poor me. I then spent the next two years on active duty in support the reserves (MARTD) in Los Alamitos, Calif. I joined the reserves squadron VMA-134 (an A-4 squadron) at Los Alamitos. I was a staff sgt. in the jet engine shop and I was going to college on the GI bill. I enjoyed the reserve drills and keeping my hands on the aircraft. I became a Warrant Officer after a couple of years and moved up to become the Quality Assurance Officer for the squadron. The squadron moved to MCAS El Toro when Los Alamitos closed. I stayed with VMA-134 until I moved to Port Angeles, Washington in 1980. I joined an unit at NAS Whidbey Island. The units changed a couple of times until I ended up in VMAQ-4, an EA6B squadron. Our squadron was in big demand to support other reserve units so we were going every where we wanted. We went on deployments just about every month and the active duty staff were always asking if reserve members could go.

The squadron was activated during the end of Desert Storm and I spent nine months back in Japan as a CWO4. The money was good and I did have to pull any base duties. I was the Maintance Control Officer for the squadron and as long as the aircraft were up and going I was out in the country side of Japan. The squadron went on a four week NATO excersize in Australia, now those boys know how to drink. The airfield was in the outback but I was able to get to a couple beaches during the weekends. They were beautiful and the beaches looked nice also. When our tour was up and the squadron came back to Whidbey Island the squadron was de-activated. Another active duty squadron was made and our assets (aircraft and gear) were turned over to them (VMAQ-2). I felt it was my time to say goodbye because all of my toys had been taken away so I retired after 28 years of service and having the time of my life."


The Johnson High alumni will miss Tom very much.